Mining and burning coal is the leading cause of climate change.
But as the world races to solve the climate crisis, mining giant Adani are trying to build the biggest coal mine in Australia's history.
Adani’s Carmichael mine will:
- Destroy the ancestral lands and waters of the Wangan and Jagalingou people without their consent.
- Allow 500 more coal ships to travel through the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area every year.
- Drain 270 billion litres of Queensland's precious groundwater.
- Risk damaging aquifers of the Great Artesian Basin.
- Add 4.6 billion tonnes of carbon pollution to our atmosphere.
Critically, if allowed to go ahead, Adani’s Carmichael coal mine will unlock the Galilee Basin - one of the world's largest untouched coal reserves - paving the way for at least eight more coal mines to be built. All at a time when scientists are warning we can't build any more fossil fuel infrastructure if we want to avoid catastrophic global heating.
We must stop this mine. How will we do it? With the support and actions of millions of people like you, doing what it takes to #StopAdani and move Australia beyond coal.