Axa Investment Managers have just dumped investments with State Bank of India as a warning over the proposed $1 billion taxpayer loan for Adani’s coal. One of SBI’s biggest investors, Amundi, has said they’ll also divest tens of millions in green bonds if the loan goes ahead. And the largest asset manager in the world, BlackRock, along with Norwegian giant Storebrand, have spoken out against the loan too.
Now, it's time for British banking giant HSBC to speak out and stop the loan!
HSBC is a major green bond arranger for SBI, contributing to hundreds of millions worth of funds for the bank. HSBC also has a policy against funding new thermal coal mines like the Adani Carmichael project. If HSBC does not speak out against SBI’s willingness to fund Adani coal, HSBC will be making itself an example of serious greenwashing. Read more from our friends at Market Forces here.
We’ve been trying to get in touch with HSBC executives in every way we can, but it just seems like they aren’t making the space in their busy calendars to ensure their investments aren't tied up in coal enabling banks like SBI! So we’re going to fill the calendars of HSBC CEOs with hundreds of invitations to remind them!
What you need:
- The email addresses of HSBC Global CEO Noel Quinn, Chairman Mark Tucker, and Australian CEO Kaber Mclean are: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
- CC us at [email protected] so we can see the invitations coming in
- Pick a time in your calendar between 14th Dec and 24th Dec, 8pm-4am AEDT (9am-5pm London time). Add a message like "Reminder: call on SBI to dump the Adani loan" or "Note to self: divest green bonds from coal loving SBI" - get creative!
- Copy the email addresses and paste them into the invite field of your event. Make sure to click "send invitations" so the CEOs get an email notification as well.
- Rinse and repeat. Hot tip - multiple invitations are more effective than long events.
HSBC executives will have to decline each and every invitation, making it literally impossible to ignore our calendar invitations.
If you are new to calendar invitations, watch the video tutorials below. Thank you to 350.org for the inspiration!
If you use a different email provider, use google to find instructions.